Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Atomic Learning

I've used Atomic Learning quite a bit in the past. However, I've always been a fairly intuitive computer user and would rate my skills in most applications as above average or advanced. I find that I get pretty impatient with the Atomic Learning tutorials in general, because they start at such a basic level. When I find instructions in print, I can scroll down the page, locate the info I need quickly, and move on.

However, I discovered today that they do have info on both OpenDoc resources and Gimp. Since I'm a single mom on a single salary with a budget, I didn't invest in the newest stuff on my new machine, and I'm relearning applications with freebie software. The OpenDoc and Gimp interfaces are fairly complex and advanced, so I imagine that I will make use of Atomic Learning again in the future. The other catch wtih using Atomic Learning is that you can't get continuing ed credits. If I really want to improve my spreadsheet skills I'd rather show up for the class, where I can also get lane advancement credit and hours towards my relicensure.

HOWEVER, the thought just occurred to me that I can use this as a source for my kids (I'll provide links for them) when we're working on research papers and I don't want to take the time to reteach info they should already know. It would be a good resource for kids who have forgotten or don't know the basics for navigating Word, for example.

To Do List:
create a links page for Atomic Learning that is a basic that all of my classes can access -- maybe off of the district teacher webpages?

Bibliography boogie

No comments: