Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A long trail of dead blogs and other such accounts

Wasn't such a tough assignment. The big challenge for me is remembering old log-ins. I have a cyber trail of junk that will probably follow me for life. A drifting floating trail of flotsam and jetsum. Old accounts in various states of activation or inactivation -- some that I can remember, some that I can't. I have 3 or 4 separate blogger pages that I used for classes and communication with students a few years back. It all went by the wayside when one of my students created a Facebook account that copied all of my info. It turns out that more of my students had Facebook accounts than blogger accounts, and they began relying on this one student to check my Blog and then update his Facebook account for announcements. The lag proved frustrating and I ended up abandoning the communication tool entirely (his updating was inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate -- transcription errors occured from time to time). I chose not to create a Facebook account to work with my kids because a) I couldn't access Facebook from school (even though our students STILL can) and b) I decided that that was a boundary I wanted to establish -- no Facebooks with current kids.

Computer tools for me are like New Year's resolutions. I always start out with the best of intentions. The catch is to stick with them for any length of time.

Helpful links for down the road:
Edu20.org

The beginning of my trail of dead stuff:
Albrecht's old blogs

No comments: